Pumpkin walnut spice smoothie
I just love pumpkin! And no it's not just a seasonal thing for me I enjoy pumpkin all year round both cold and hot. The fall pumpkin spice latte that everyone seems to love from Starbucks just won't cut it. That pumpkin treat is full of garbage- sugar, artificial flavoring, carrageenan, preservatives, sulfites, gmo's, carcinogenic substances and the list could go on. Because of this I have a MUCH healthier option for you. Pumpkin doesn't have to only be enjoyed at Starbucks during the fall. It is just as delicious to have during the winter and summer months too! So, what is so great about pumpkin anyway? Here we aren't talking about pumpkin seeds (which are also a must to incorporate into your diet to boost your magnesium, essential fatty acid and L-trytophan intake!), but we are talking about pumpkin flesh. You can buy it in a can. I again, always try and buy organic. Organic pure pumpkin flesh contains a HUGE amount of Vitamin A and a considerable amount of Vitamin C, Vitamin E and potassium which are essential for immune health and keeping that immune system nice and healthy to fight off illnesses. It is also contains Vitamin K, essential for blog clotting health. Plus, rich in magnesium, one of the most common and deficient minerals in our body! Magnesium helps to calm you and has even been shown to help with anxiety. So there you have it, this is only a short list of the health benefits of pumpkin, there are many more to explore, but you get the idea that this yummy superfood is a delicious addition to your diet. Happy pumpkin making!
- 1 can organic pumpkin
- 1 big handful organic walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use Silk brand)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp. stevia leaf powder
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 small handful pumpkin seeds
- Combine all ingredients into your blender (except for ice and pumpkin seeds) and blend on high speed until creamy and smooth- pumpkin, walnuts, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, chia seeds, stevia
- Add in the desired amount of ice until you reach the consistency and coldness you desire. I used 4 ice cubes.
- Top with pumpkin seeds
- Sip and enjoy the pumpkin deliciousness!